The Nuclear Industrial Strategy identifies priorities that government and industry will work on together in a long-term partnership. It aims to provide more opportunities for economic growth and creating jobs through an increased share of all aspects of the nuclear market. It covers:
- opportunities in the nuclear new build programme
- waste management and decommissioning
- operations and maintenance
- associated professional services, both in the UK and in overseas markets
The Strategy includes:
- a new Nuclear Industry Council, that bring together all the key players across the nuclear supply chain
- better coordination of research and development (R&D) and innovation through new bodies: the Nuclear Innovation and Research Advisory Board and a Nuclear Innovation and Research Office
- a cost reduction initiative to investigate the scope for reducing costs across all aspects of the nuclear industry
- a long-term plan to ensure we will have the skills required for the future
The new Nuclear Industry Council will own of this Strategy, driving forward the work programmes and keeping it current.
The Nuclear Industrial Strategy is part of the Government’s wider industrial strategy. It has been developed in consultation with industry, and draws on work undertaken over the past year to respond to the House of Lords report on the UK’s nuclear R&D capabilities.